Saturday, December 17, 2011

Breaking up with a Forum....or maybe not.

I can be such a spaz! :) While my recent experience on my favorite forum was difficult I have discovered a few things. First off, I did receive and apology for the comment left on my visitor messages. That is something I really appreciate. Secondly, was that I feel way too protective over a forum that I have no ownership of! It is not my forum and I do not get to say how or when the mods get to do their jobs. Lesson learned :)


I cannot believe I am about to write this. I guess we are an internet age when leaving a forum hurts like this. The Hive was my safe place. Not because the posters were perfect and we all agreed, but because the moderators seemed to have great boundaries. I do not know how they did it, but I was so proud of them. They did not shut down every thread, discussion was allowed and even when threads were shut down there was humor from the mods.

Fast forward to yesterday; yes, I started a thread knowingly against board rules. There had been numerous little rules violations going on for a week or so. No single one was a major violation or tattle worthy issue, but in total the atmosphere was becoming increasingly tense and stressful. Maybe not for every one, but definetly for myself.

So, I tried to start a somewhat humorous thread with a gentle reminder that there were some rules guiding the forum. I knew it would get deleted and I reported my post myself so that the mod could find it quickly and take care of it. I am not saying what I did was the best course of action, but I made the best decision I felt comfortable with. What happened next was quite shocking for me.

The mod not only deleted the thread (which was perfectly understandable) but, proceeded to blame me for all the extra work I had made her do. I am sorry, but I did not cause her more work. Other people made their own choices, but the only thing I was responsible for was my post. To blame me for all the extra work is a bit like blaming the member of a family who identifies a problem....as being the problem.

From there the mod  proceeded to post a visitor message on my profile. Something anyone can see. This is blatant intimidation and public shaming. For many this would not be a big deal. For me it is. I do not feel safe in an environment where authorities wield their power in this way.

I am sad about the loss of support and relationships I had developed. Thankfully, I made many wonderful friends who I get to continue in relationship with.

Edited: Here is the message I sent the moderator. And her response. Guess I am supposed to consider the treatment as some sort of Christmas gift.



 Today, 01:12 PM
WTM Forum Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 155
Default Re: In regards to deleting my thread

Merry Christmas.

Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simka2
First off I have know idea if this goes out to one Moderator or more than one. So, if you are not the Moderator who deleted my thread and wrote me a visitor message I apologize.

That said, what you did was uncalled for and far worse than my little thread. Do not blame me for what others choose to do. I owned my thread post, but that's ALL I am responsible for. I reported my post, so I could not have made that much work for you. What others did is not my responsibility. Good gracious!

Then to take it a step further and post on my visitor messages. Wow, just wow. Honestly, I stayed on these forums, because it was a safe place. It had moderators that had a good sense of boundaries and how not to abuse their power. Something has changed.

Don't worry, I will not break anymore forum rules and post my farewell there. Good night.
Forward Message Reply With Quote

Edited again: I did receive an apology for posting the message to my visitor board. I was told it was an accident. I was then informed that the "Merry Christmas" comment was not meant to be snarky, but to diffuse. I have spent some time thinking about this and honestly I just don't buy it. Maybe the visitor messaget was an accident, but the "Merry Christmas" was not kind in anyway. It is just illogical to think that it would be. I did try to discuss with the moderator the bind many are finding themselves in. That they are banned when they report posts. She wouldn't hear it. She insisted that it was not happening.

So, while I got the apology, it rang with a hollowness that leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

I wish people would realize that there is actually strength in admitting inperfection. It is okay to drop the ball, just be honest about.

25 comments:

  1. Whoa.

    From what I understand, the moderators are board members, too, who are sworn to secrecy about who they are but can log in as Moderator and do admin things.

    I was gone from the forums for a while, so I thought maybe it was just me when I noticed that things had become different.

    I think it just happens once every eighteen months or so that the moms who were posting a lot leave en masse and start a forum on a different service (or find each other on Facebook or G+). Then new moms go to the Forums and create a different culture.

    It'll be okay. You'll find your friends from the Hive out here in the rest of the internet. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks R.C., I had a hunch the moderators were board members. I even have a pretty good idea who this one is. Life will go on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came here to see the pics of your farm. I'm so sad to see that you've left the Hive. The atmosphere around there has gotten increasingly hostile, and many of us have spoken about it publicly or on PM's.

    I will miss you. I want you to know that. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((((hugs)))) You will be missed very much. I'm sorry you've been hurt.

    I'm limiting my posts there to chats about curriculum only after a very nasty smackdown (with banning) last week. I had been offended by a post that I believed to be an insult against a huge group of people, I responded to it, and then reported the thread to the Moderator so it could be deleted before causing a kerfuffle on the boards. The thanks I got was to be chastised and banned, although the thread was pulled! I thought it was a rogue Moderator, but maybe that's how things are now.

    R.C. if you know of any forums where old-timer WTM'ers have gone, please let me know where.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 3Blessings4Me over at the hive. I'll still be checking in with you on your blog. I love reading about what you guys are up to. Don't feel bad, your true hive friends won't go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. S -- I saw your original post and it made me smile, and I did find it humorous -- I am so sorry that this happened. I, too, the past few weeks, have noticed a different 'atmosphere' (if we can call it that) on the board. I know that this 'smarts' -- I had one of them do something rather nasty to me a couple of years ago on the Sale/Swap board and it really annoyed me. I will check your blog to see how you are doing and I hope we can stay in touch somehow online -- Wishing your family wonderful Holiday blessings and a Happy New Year! MariannNOVA (Mariann)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are all so sweet! I really did not want to create a huge deal in my leaving. I realized that the reason I had felt so "safe" over there was the the great job I thought the moderators were doing. I know they are human and a simple, "Ooops, I guess it's a full moon for me. Sorry, I took things that far." Would have smoothed it all over.

    Now, I am starting to get excited about all those pesky project I had been procrastinating on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know where else to go with this - so, sorry, Simka, it has to go here. What happened that Dulcimeramy wrote about is PRECISELY what happened to me about 2 months ago. There was a thread, I commented and I reported it and I got slapped on the wrist even though the thread was deleted. It made no sense to me and I found the entire thing kind of 'tit' for 'tat' which just seemed so childish. Sort of like: 'we'll delete the thread, but there have to be consequences to you, too.' If anyone knows where the rogue WTM-ers have gone (cannot tell you how much I miss hornblower and many many others) I would love to know. Sorry to use your blog for this. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. The "Merry Christmas" thing--wow. That's just deliberately mean. :(

    I'll miss reading your posts. I hope you will consider returning in the new year, when your heart has had some time to heal.

    - Mamabegood

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((Simka))),
    I always enjoy hearing what you have to say. You speak from the heart. I went looking for your blog when I realized you had left. So glad I found it. Love the farm pictures and the cowboy boot ornaments!!!
    Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness, it worked? I posted?? Okay, now off to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mariann, I miss Hornblower too! :( You know how there are things you are aware of but you can't pin how you know? I think I was aware that it wasn't safe to flag posts without getting into trouble oneself. I "think" that is part of why I handled things the way I did. Like bringing it into the like so there was public accountability.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that was a stinky "Merry Christmas".

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the comment on your visitor messages has been removed. I am sorry to see another member go but glad it was brought out into the open even briefly. I don't post as much on the General Forum but read there quite a bit, something seems up with the mods lately. Merry Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry. I have noticed a deliberate downward spiral on WTM over the last few years. It's sad, really. I have thought the mods have not done a good job for several years now, and the results are that many, MANY people have left the forums in droves. I hope you find your place elsewhere. ~ "Kinsa"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am beginning to wonder if 'public accountability' isn't an oxymoron.

    I LOVE your photos -- what a wonderful place! Bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I miss Hornblower So Much!!! I have spoken to her a few times through emails. I am glad to see others missing such a great person.

    I don't know what's going on over at the Hive lately, but it's not a comfortable place anymore!

    Remudamom, I did post our emails, only to come back to a message that said the letters I entered didn't match...... so I entered the new ones and once my post got through I noticed you had already gotten to post here. Sorry!

    Please keep me in the loop if there's another place where boardies meet. Some of the newbies are just making WTM an uncomfortable place to be. There must at least be one new moderator, because they don't seem to be behaving the same either.

    How about we use this blog as our gathering place? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some people are allowed to repeatedly insult others, make snarky comments and break board rules at will. It does feel a little like high school sometimes there. :(. I am sorry you are leaving though.

    Shelly (aka Asenik)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had been on the WTM board since 1999. The downward spiral of that board has been alarming. It has become the nasty place that Vegsource was back then, with its hostile tone and random bannings.

    I'm sorry for your experience, and hope that you'll find a new place to reconnect with people.

    Hillary in KS

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mariann, I'm sorry the same thing happened to you! Yuck. (Although it helps a little to know it wasn't just me...)

    Simka, I hope you had a great afternoon in spite of all this. Thanks for hosting this commiseration at your lovely blog! I hope you'll blog about those interesting projects you'll now have time to tackle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry...

    Wishing you a very heartfelt Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope that both are filled with joy for you and your family.

    --JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy, I can't comment on your blog, but I just wanted to say how gorgeous your family was, and how I love the music.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are not alone. The boards and moderation have changed. I first came to the boards 7 years ago when my oldest turned 5. I have owned two different copies of The Well Trained Mind, First Language Lessons 1/2, FLL 3, SOTW audio 1 & 2, SOTW 1 hardback and activity book, WWE text and workbooks 1-4, and Writing without Fear. Some children NEED this approach modified due to learning differences such as ADHD, Dyslexia, Giftedness, and Spectrum Disorders. Those issues are not the same as accelerating a child or having a child with special needs such as being developmentally delayed or with a low IQ. A few of us PM'd the moderators, asking them to consider regrouping the the boards a bit. Perhaps something such as a "Embracing Learning Differences" as the main board with "Special Needs" and "Accelerated Learners" as sub forums of that. That way members would have a place to discuss how to pull the WTM concepts out of the box for kids who need taught that way, yet still give those dealing with much more sensitive issues a place to talk about their children's needs without having to skim through posts about higher functioning children. There were many members who joined in those August 2011 threads expressing interest. I Pm'd with the mods a couple times responding to their questions and the last I heard SWB was on vacation and they had some ideas, but needed to run them by here. I never did get a final response.

    I would have loved nothing more than for the WTM to be "the magic answer" as written. The reality is my children need another approach. When you have a child who carries a learning diagnosis, a place to brainstorm ideas and just support each other is life changing. It's not a club anyone wishes to join and only those who are in the same shoes can truly relate.

    I'm sorry you too had a bad experience. - one l michele

    ReplyDelete
  24. I"m so sorry you've had this experience with the mods.

    I was one of the people who, with Michele, wrote the moderators asking for a reorganization of the SN/accelerated sections of the boards to accommodate those of us who had kids who were "different" learners to an extent we have to teach them and work with them VERY differently than we do other children.

    Like Michele, I don't say this as a dismissal or rejection of WTM. In fact I wrote a three-part guest post for the education blog there about how one could work with a child's dysgraphia while still emphasizing the same processes and goals as WTM. I've owned two different editions of the book. I am always careful to express my respect for people who follow it while discussing the fact that the methods are inappropriate and ineffective for my own dd.

    Their reply to me was brief and dismissive: basically, "Oh, all kids are different and we all teach differently so what are you fussing about?" I'd spent a lot of time on my letter to them, so I wrote again asking them to explain, and noting how many of us were discussing the matter. They never replied. When I posted on a thread about the request to let people know it had been turned down, I must have violated a board rule by referring to the mods, so I was banned. I know they try to stay above it all, so to speak, but I thought it was pretty hypocritical to be snotty and/or not answer, and then get angry when someone publicly questioned their stance.

    Another time I had been followed by one of the members who was practically cyberstalking me, criticizing every single thing that I wrote and reporting me to the moderators at every turn. Clearly she was just panting to have me banned again, and I finally was, for what I still consider a perfectly straightforward and unremarkable comment. The mods accompanied this ban with a really rudely phrased message to me that is very ironic given that they put so much emphasis on everybody playing nicely.

    That was it for me and I have since left the boards. I now carry on a private correspondence with a number of people from the boards, about half of whom have also left due to the increasingly acrimonious tone of the users and to the wildly discrepant actions and attitudes of the moderators. It just isn't a nice place to be anymore.

    I'm sorry for all who have left or no longer feel free to post what they really think or do with their kids due to the changing atmosphere there. I sometimes miss the group interchange, but not too much -- I am so much more supported and happy now. Best wishes for finding your own supportive network, whatever form that may take.

    ReplyDelete